18 August 2016
David Hart Guides DBIA’s P3 Panel
Design-Build Institute of America held a breakfast meeting on Tuesday covering Public Private Partnerships (P3’s) in public higher education. With Steinberg working on current P3 projects, DBIA asked President & CEO of Steinberg, David Hart, to lead the session as moderator.
There was a clear agreement among the group that in order for a P3 to be successful, there must be an alignment of objectives for the partners, and that P3’s are not a “one-size-fits-all” answer to the question of how to deliver a project. With David’s guidance on key themes, each speaker shared their insights on the P3 process. They defined objectives for owners to be up front, about risk management, and how they can choose the right financial option to meet these objectives. Other key themes included the importance of the selection process in finding the right team for the project and managing the long term approach to operations and maintenance.
- (Moderator) David Hart, President & CEO, Steinberg
- John Gormley, Campus Architect, Senior Director, Planning Design & Construction, California State University Channel Islands
- Yukiko Kojima, Partner, Nossaman LLP
- Matthew Bohannon, West Coast Regional Vice President, Brailsford & Dunlavey
- Ryan Abbott, Senior Vice President, Sundt Construction