13 April 2016
Raquel Bito attended the 2016 APAHE conference for “Asserting our Voices for Equity & Inclusion”
Following an annual tradition, Steinberg was a Silver Sponsor of APAHE (Asian Pacific Americans in Higher Education). Held at the Oakland Marriott City Center, the theme of the 2016 conference was “Asserting our Voices for Equity & Inclusion.” As such, the presentations were focused on minority data/statistics, immigrant stories of success, overcoming hardships and stereotypes, managing conflicts as well as ways in which Asian-Americans can support each other.
In attendance on Thu. 4/7/16 was Senior Design Manager Raquel Bito who also attended the pre-Conference Sponsors Dinner on Wed. 4/6/16. At the conference, Raquel met with several long-time clients, such as:
- Dr. Jannett Jackson, Chancellor, Chabot-Las Positas Community College District
- Dr. Lori Adrian, President, Coastline Community College
- Dr. Susan Sperling, President, Chabot College
- Tram Vo-Kumamoto, Vice President of Instruction, Berkeley City College
- Wyman Fong, Director of HR, Chabot-Las Positas Community College District
- Frank Chong, President, Santa Rosa Community College
At a presentation on “Women in Executive Leadership Positions,” Raquel learned about how to overcome challenges of race, gender, equity and inclusion. A rare celebration and standing ovation occurred when Dr. Judy Sakaki was recognized as incoming President at Sonoma State, the first Asian-American Female President of a 4-year University. She is one of only .7% Asian Presidents of a CSU. In addition, Raquel made a new connection with Dr. Les Wong, President of San Francisco State. As sponsor, Ernie Yamane was thanked publicly during the conference luncheon.
Pictured: Raquel Bito, Lori Adrian, Jannett Jackson, Mani A. Farhadi